Franz Joseph Glacier

Franz Joseph Glacier
Coolest Trek of the Trip

Wednesday 6 February 2008

Last Night in NZ

This 6 week trip has come to an end. I fly out of Auckland tomorrow and begin the West coast trip. I am really sad that its over although I can't imagine it being any better than it was. The entire trip was everything I wanted it to be and the greatest part is that I really do want to go home :) I'm not saying I want to go back to work anytime soon but the US is home for me, at least for now.

I headed up to Rotorua for 2 days after Taupo and spent a day blitzing the tourist attractions there. I did another geothermal park (really cool- pics to come) followed by a legitimate mud bath from the thermal springs (10 years younger kids) followed by a traditional Maori hangi or dinner and concert. The entire day was unreal but i was happy to leave the town the next morning. Because of all the volcanic activity, the entire town smells like Sulfur- not on my top 10 places to come back to, although definitely a must do.

After Roturua, it was up to the Bay of Islands to a town called Paihia. It was a beach town and in the sits on the beginning of many islands and tropical weather. I stayed a 5 star backpackers and this place was by far the best place I've stayed yet and for the same price. I ventured down to a beach bar and stumbled upon the best night of live music of the entire trip. (better than Nelson, jenn, and not weird) The coolest thing is that it started out with 3 guys and ended with 7. Apparently every Sunday night is jam night and locals just come and bring whatever instruments they play and just jam all night. It was alos supposively one of the best nights of the summer. I chatted with a groupy and she said I was lucky to have been there that night. Guitars, bongos, full drums, sax- it was really awesome. Everyone was in bare feet and it was really nice out and right near the beach. It was very cool.

The next day, i got to go out in search of dolphins. What we found was the most incredible trip yet- dolphins swimming everywhere. They would do jumps right in fron tof the boat, swim in and out of the waves- and there were probably 50 of them. We didn't get to swim with them becasue there were babies with them but the sight was pretty cool. We spent the rest of the day sailing and relaxing on the boat.

Tonight I'm in Auckland, just another city and I kind of feel like I'm in the US. I made to the top of the sky city tower and watched the sunset and now I'm heading up to fingure out how to pack for the plane tomorrow. I'm off to LA to visit relatives and I am really happy about all that has happened the past 6 weeks. The trip was the most amazing thing i have done ever and it almost makes me want to stay at Intel to get another sabbatical. For those who know me, understand what a huge statement that is.

Time is running out so I will have to post pics later. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading of our adventures. Its been fun to post and hear from those of you who have been following along. You need to all take time to travel. its great.

See you soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Miss. Amazing job with the blog on your trip. It's been a lot of fun to follow your adventures. Anna's dying to see you, so have a safe trip back to the states and we'll see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Missy...wish shelly and I were there in NZ with you and Jen... awesome job blogging.. and btw you so won the bet with scott... you blogged so much more than 3 or 4 times! have a safe trip back to the US and hope to see you soon in beantown. Amy

Julia said...

Welcome back to the US, Miss! Glad your trip was such a success. I can't wait to hear more about it in person!!
Love, Jules

CP said...

hope your boss didn't read this! :)
"it almost makes me want to stay at Intel to get another sabbatical"