Franz Joseph Glacier

Franz Joseph Glacier
Coolest Trek of the Trip

Monday 4 February 2008

Taupo, NZ












After leaving Jenn, I ventured up North to a place called Taupo. In Taupo, there is a huge lake. It is the best trout fishing in all of NZ and this is also a place of adventure overload. You can skydive, parasail, golf, hike, go to natural hot springs and go on various fishing trips into the lake. It is a very beautiful place and I had 1.5 days here. I spent the evening of arrival exploring town and walking along the lake. I found a place that had gluten free pizza which was SO good and after a place that had gluten free chocolate cake. I really didn't need the cake but I need to explain that when I see these things, I usually feel compelled to buy them on the spot. Who knows when I will get this treat again and it is SO delicious. I got a GF muffin yesterday as well and it was amazing. Just to put it in persepctive, I haven't had a muffin in about 8 months. THe chocolate cake happens in Septemeber for my birthday so that was a little less thrilling but still good. Ok, it is harder with jenn not here so I occupy my excitement with littler things. Oh well.
That night I saw the best sunset I have seen, possibly ever.

The next day I think I walked a total of 5 hours and about 12km. I didn't have a car orr a bike and really wanted a workout. So I went up to the trailway and hiked the trail out to Huka Falls. After that I went to a place called Craters of the MOon. This was a trip- steam came out of the ground in various craters and holes and there were pools of bubbling mud. This is the start of the volcanic zone so that's what happens here. Weird. I actually met a French guy that walked the track with me. This made the adventure even more strange. He knew very little english and what he didn't know, I think I interpreted copmpletely wrong. THe tenses were all wrong but he, thankfully, just laughed at everything. I'm sure the experience was mutual. He gave me a ride down the hill on his bike and we parted. I continued on to make my way passed the falls again and at the bottom was a completely natural river runoff that was heated. So, picture a waterfall that empties into a pool that is like a natural hot tub. Amazing, especially after all that walking and hiking. I was exhausted.

No comments: